Alice James Books is now accepting .PDF queries online for the AJB Translation Series. Queries (to be reviewed by the Translation Committee) will be accepted between the months of September and March only. All manuscripts must be complete at the time of query submission.
Queries must consist of the following:
1. A letter detailing the project, its impact/relevance to our literary community, and information about the poet and translator(s).
2. A ten poem sample of the translations, including the original-language text.
3. Name, address, email and phone number for the person submitting the query.
Response time for all inquiries is between 5-6 months, during which time the Translation Committee will review queries and make recommendations to the entire cooperative board for their further review. AJB will appreciate if you refrain from making inquiries regarding your manuscript during this time and thanks you in advance for your patience with our process. If your manuscript is selected by another press for publication while under our review, we ask that you kindly notify us as soon as possible.
There is no reading fee.
Alice James Books will be accepting submissions of poetry manuscripts to the Alice James Award (formerly the Beatrice Hawley Award) postmarked through November 1, 2016. The Alice James Award welcomes submissions from emerging as well as established poets. Entrants must reside in the United States.
The winner receives $2000, book publication, and distribution through Consortium. In addition to the winning manuscript, one or more additional manuscripts may be chosen for publication as the Editor’s Choice.
Guidelines for Manuscript Submission:
- Screening for the Alice James Award is blind. Because of this, no contact information is allowed within your manuscript, including within the filename, if electronically submitted. Electronic submissions will have contact information collected via Submittable, which is hidden from our screeners. Hardcopy submissions must include a separate title page, which lists the title of your manuscript and contact information (name, address, e-mail address, and phone number).
- Do not include any preambles, bios, or acknowledgements within your submitted manuscript.
- Manuscripts must have a table of contents.
- No illustrations, photographs or images should be included.
- Manuscripts must be typed in a no less than 12 point font, paginated, and 48 – 80 pages in length (single spaced). We accept double sided manuscripts.
- Individual poems from the manuscript may have been previously published in magazines, anthologies, or chapbooks of less than 25 pages, but the collection, as a whole, must be unpublished.
- Translations and self-published books are not eligible.
- No multi-authored collections, please.
- MANUSCRIPTS CANNOT BE RETURNED. Please do not send us your only copy.
- If hardcopy: send one copy of your manuscript submission with two copies of the title page (one title page that includes just the title of your manuscript, the second which includes the title and your contact information [your name, address, phone number, e-mail address, and an optional biographical note]). Use only binder clips. No staples, folders, or printer-bound copies.
- For notification of winners, include a business-sized SASE.
- If you wish acknowledgment of the receipt of your manuscript, include a stamped addressed postcard. Winners will be announced in April 2017.
- Entry fee for the Alice James Award is $30 for online and hardcopy submissions. Checks or money orders for hardcopy submissions should be made payable to Alice James Books.
- Manuscripts may be submitted online or by regular mail. Mail hard copy entries to: Alice James Books, Alice James Award, 114 Prescott Street, Farmington, ME 04938. Online submissions are open until 11:59 PM EST on 11/1.
- One (1) copy of manuscript enclosed (NO CONTACT INFORMATION WITHIN MANUSCRIPT).
- Electronic: Title page that lists only the title of your manuscript (NO CONTACT INFORMATION)
- Hardcopy: Two (2) copies of title page (one page that shows only the title, the second which shows the title and your contact information)
- $30 entry fee